The Minerals Council of Australia represents Australia’s exploration, mining and minerals processing industry, nationally and internationally, in its contribution to sustainable development and society.
Australia’s minerals industry is innovative, technologically advanced, capital intensive, and environmentally and socially progressive. The industry is a major contributor to national income, investment, high-wage jobs, exports and government revenues in Australia.
MCA member companies account for more than 85 per cent of Australia’s annual mineral production and 90 per cent of mineral export earnings.
The MCA represents the minerals industry with a common purpose in advocating responsible policies to promote growth, prosperity and sustainability.
We engage with the community, other industries, industry and representative bodies, opinion leaders and other stakeholders to reinforce and raise awareness of the industry’s contribution to Australia and Australians.
The industry is committed to contributing to the sustained growth and prosperity of current and future generations through the integration of economic progress, responsible social development and effective environmental management.
The MCA advocates consistent and balanced policy settings for:
- An economic framework which supports global competitiveness, sustainable economic growth, low inflation, low interest rates and fiscal responsibility
- A skilled, productive and flexible workforce and a modern workplace relations system
- Streamlining state and federal approval processes while maintaining environmental protection
- Promoting taxation reforms which reduce Australia’s internationally uncompetitive corporate tax rate
- Delivery of reliable and affordable energy at least cost while putting Australia on a pathway to meeting its emissions reduction targets
- Access to natural resources and competitive markets for land, water, energy, capital, production inputs, human resources, and end products
- Mutually beneficial relationships with Indigenous and local communities through engagement and capacity building
- An industry free of fatalities, injuries and diseases
- Improved environmental performance for sustainable ecosystems.