Partnering to support local, regional and national responses has underpinned the minerals industry’s approach to keep people safe and well during the COVID-19 pandemic.
This includes building on existing strong links with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and organisations to support community-led health plans, including vaccination outreach.
Supporting Indigenous-led health responses
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Advisory Group on COVID-19 developed a comprehensive national plan to support public health actions and responses relating to Indigenous people, populations and communities during the COVID-19 pandemic. It reinforces the importance of culturally-safe, locally-led approaches and specific social, health and economic considerations.
The MCA worked with the Commonwealth, Aboriginal health sector and industry to develop operating protocols, tools and other resources to minimise transmission risks, continue essential services and maintain economies. Resources include:
- The Resources Sector National COVID-19 Response Protocols
- A guide to assist mine sites and companies to implement the protocols
- A health response framework and flowchart to help support community responses across the four pandemic phases identified in the COVID-19 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Populations Plan
- A Communities Checklist to inform broader regional engagement
- A remote communities checklist
- A keeping remote communities safe information sheet.
As part its commitment to transparency and collaboration, the MCA has also published regular bulletins outlining MCA and industry actions to support community health responses.