The number one value and commitment of the Australian minerals industry is the safety and health of its workforce, where everyone goes to work and returns home safely.
Mental health is central to health and safety and can have an adverse impact on mining workers, their families and industry productivity.
The MineWell app is a great step forward in making help available to mining workers and their families who may be going through a tough time because of long hours, separation, isolation or financial stress.
MineWell is a preventative mental health and wellbeing app developed by the MCA and Utility Creative to provide prevention, intervention and education in mental health and wellbeing for Australian mining workers and their families.
The app includes features such as:
- Personalised scheduling for shift workers to promote better sleep and alertness whilst on shift
- Advice and exercises for improving sleep quality, staying active and positive and staying well during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Tools to take control through breathing, taking a reality check, managing emotions and releasing tension
- A social connection tool to schedule anniversaries, birthdays, catch-ups with family and friends and other important events
- A crisis response tool for direct calls to MATES in Mining, Lifeline, Beyondblue and other help services
- A Budget Well feature to set a target budget, savings goals and help track progress to reduce stress and anxiety relating to financial management
All personal information provided by app users remains private, is only stored on their device and cannot be accessed, viewed or gathered by others.
MineWell has been developed based on feedback from focus groups and user testing by Australian miners and is available free to all mine workers and their families through the Apple App Store (iOS) and Google Play (Android).